Top Genres I Read in 2016 & Bookish Resolutions 2017


Last year I did a full list and recap of all of the books I read in 2015 with each books genre attached! It was a great way to see what types of books I had been reading in the year and to help me set some bookish resolutions for 2016!

So that is what I’m going to do today!

I read 65 books in 2016 which meant I succeeded in my Goodreads challenge of reading 60+ books!

Here is a list of the genres I read and the number of books I read in each:

(Note: some books cross over into YA short stories/fiction & non-fiction books – I have chosen their primary genre rather than put them in two or more genre groups)

Fantasy: 3

Short Stories: 7

Literary Fiction: 4

Non-Fiction: 8

-      Biography: 4

Young Adult (inc series): 6

Graphic Novels: 4

Children’s (inc HP): 13

Classics: 3

Historical Fiction: 5

Poetry: 4

Thriller: 1

Quotes: 1

Play: 2

Total Genres Read: 14

I read 1 more genre than last year!

Last year I read YA, Horror, Adult Fantasy, Poetry, Non-Fiction, Adult Sci-Fi, Historical, Short Stories, Classics, Plays, Children’s fiction, Graphic Novels & Contemporary novels.

I was quite surprised by the genres I read this year! I’ve read a lot of non-fiction this year – which I’m really happy about – and quite a lot of short story collections!

Children’s Fiction is quite large – but 7 of those books are Harry Potter re-reads!

In Re-Reads this year I re-read: 11 books – which also surprised me! I thought I had re-read more! So I read 54 new books in total in 2016!

Time for Bookish Resolutions!

Based on the genres I read in 2016, in 2017 I would like to

Bookish Resolution 1: Read 70 books in 2017!

In 2015 I read 54 books, in 2016 I read 65 so In 2017 I’d like to read at least 70!

Bookish Resolution 2: Read a Non-Fiction Book every month (or total 12 non-fiction books in 2017)

I’ve been reading a lot of feminist literature and feminist biographies in 2016 and they’ve been fascinating, so I’d love to read more in 2017!

Bookish Resolution 3: Read 60 new books in 2017!

Since I read 54 new books in 2016 I would love it if I could read 60 new books in 2017! If my total number of books is 70 that allows me 10 re-reads in the year!

Bookish Resolutions 4: Read more Series in 2017

I’ve realised that in 2016 I only read one new series and that was Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige! I really enjoyed it but in 2015 I was reading about 6 different series so I don’t know why I’ve dropped off that bandwagon! But I would like to get back on it!

Bookish Resolution 5: Read at least 5 classics!

This is a rolling resolution from 2016! I only managed 3 classics this year – which is still 1 more than 2015 – but I would really like to get through some of my other classics in 2017! I got 10 new classics for Christmas so as long as I read half of them I’ll succeed in this resolution!

So there we go! My 2017 Bookish Resolutions! Check back in 2018 to see if I have succeeded in achieving them or not!

Let me know what types of books you have read in 2016! And if you’re setting yourself Bookish Resolutions in 2017!

For a full list of Books I read in 2016 – with numerous genre tags – see below!

Happy Reading x



Fantasy:

Ø  Seraphina by Rachel Hartman 3.5 stars

Ø  The Lord of the Rings: The End of the Third Age – 4 stars –Fantasy/Series

Ø  The Princess Bride – 4 stars

Short Stories:

Ø  The Public Library and Other Short Stories by Ali Smith 4 stars – Short Story/Literary

Ø  The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan 4 stars - Short Story/Non-Fiction

Ø  Kissing the Witch by Emma Donoghue 3 Stars

Ø  Dorothy Must Die Stories by Danielle Paige 3 Stars – Short Story/YA

Ø  A Wild Swan: And Other Tales by Michael Cunningham 2 Stars

Ø  Multitudes 5 stars

Ø  Dorothy Must Die: Short Stories vol 2 – 3 stars – Short Story/YA

Literary Fiction:

Ø  The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood 3 Stars

Ø  The Bees by Laline Paull 4 stars

Ø  Grief is the thing with Feathers 3 stars

Ø  Vinegar Girl – 2 stars

Non-Fiction & Biographies:

Ø  Very Good Lives by J.K. Rowling 5 stars - Non-Fiction

Ø  Girl Up 5 stars – Feminist/Non-Fiction

Ø  Girls Will be Girls 5 stars – Feminist/Non-Fiction

Ø  I Call Myself a Feminist 5 stars – Feminist/Non-Fiction

Ø  Everyday Sexism – 4 stars – Feminist/Non-Fiction

Ø  The Vagenda – 4 stars – Feminist/Non-Fiction

Ø  Men Explain Things to Me – 2 stars Feminist/Non-Fiction

Ø  The Trouble With Women – 3.5 stars – Feminist/Quotes

Ø  Spectacles by Sue Perkins 4.5 Stars –Biography/Non-Fiction

Ø  Where Am I Now? – 5 stars – Biography/Non-Fiction

Ø  As You Wish – 4.5 stars – Biography/Non-Fiction

Ø  Scrappy Little Nobody – 5 stars – Biography/Non-Fiction

Young Adult (inc series):

Ø  Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky 4 Stars

Ø  Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige 4 Stars – YA/Series

Ø  The Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige 3 Stars – YA/Series

Ø  On the Other Side by Carrie Hope Fletcher 2 stars – YA-Adult

Ø  The Yellow Brick Road 4 stars – YA/Series

Ø  Smoke – 2 stars

Ø  Dorothy Must Die: Short Stories vol 2 – 3 stars – YA/Series

Graphic Novels:

Ø  The Sleeper & the Spindle by Neil Gaiman & Chris Riddell 2 Stars

Ø  Raven Girl by Audrey Niffenegger 4 stars

Ø  Blue is the Warmest Colour – 4 stars

Ø  Through the Woods – 4 stars

Children’s (inc HP):

Ø  Bridge to Terabithia 5 Stars – Children’s

Ø  Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone 5 stars – Children’s/Series

Ø  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 5 stars – Children’s/Series

Ø  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 5 stars – Children’s/Series

Ø  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 5 stars – Children’s/Series

Ø  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 5 stars – Children’s/Series

Ø  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 5 stars – Children’s/Series

Ø  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 5 stars - – Children’s/Series

Ø  One 5 stars – Children’s/Poetry

Ø  What Colour is a kiss 5 stars

Ø  The BFG – 3 stars

Ø  Matilda – 3 stars

Ø  The Girl Who Saved Christmas – 4 stars – Children’s/Fantasy

Classics:

Ø  The Great Gatsby 4 Stars

Ø  Emma by Jane Austen 5 stars

Ø  The Bell Jar – 4 stars – Classic/Literary

Historical Fiction:

Ø  The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd 5 Stars

Ø  The Looking Glass House by Vanessa Tait 3 Stars

Ø  The Butchers Hook by Janet Elllis 4 stars

Ø  Brooklyn – 4 stars

Ø  The White Princess – 2 stars

Poetry:

Ø  Feminine Gospels by Carol Ann Duffy 3 stars

Ø  Quarter Life Poetry: Poems for the Young, Broke & Hangry 3 stars

Ø  The Hungry Ghost Festival by Jen Campbell 3 stars

Ø  The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories 3.5 stars

Thriller:

Ø  Ragdoll – 5 stars

Quotes:

Ø  Seriously Funny by Terry Pratchett 4 stars – Quotes/Fiction

Play:

Ø  The Cursed Child – 3.5 stars – Fantasy/Series/Play

Ø  The History Boys – 5 stars - Play

4 comments

  1. Well done for completing your GoodReads reading challenge. I was 2 book away from completing mine. But oh well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 books is not far off at all! :) There's not always time to read x

      Delete
  2. Wow! So inspiring. I can't imagine how people like yourself manage to read so many books...I think I only read 4 :/ I have challenged myself to read 10 and actually joined GoodReads in the hopes it will encourage me but it's really just that I need to make more time!
    Glad to see your rating of Cursed Child as I still haven't brought myself to read my copy...:P
    Best of luck with your 2017 goal! I'm sure you'll smash it.

    Danielle xo
    www.underlandtowonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I work in Publishing and I've never been able to go without a book - even if it just sits on my bedside table for weeks! ha! So that's my secret ;) You can do 10 books - my other secret is reading shorter books like poetry anthologies, plays & graphic novels, you can read them in one sitting! :)

      Cursed Child is definitely one you can't necessarily read, you need to see it. But actually reading it first shouldn't hurt because the play is amazing!!

      Delete